Clearing the Confusion Around Organic Milk
What Makes Organic Milk Different?
Is organic milk really worth the extra cost, or is it just marketing? This is the biggest question people ask us about our organic products. We’ve seen a recent surge in the popularity of organic food products. A recent study from Stanford University found that organic food items contain the same amount of nutrients as conventional food items, but they don’t contain more nutrients. Despite this, proponents of organic food are comforted by the fact that organic food is governed by regulations that prohibit the use of synthetic pesticides, additives and hormones. Limiting these items may have beneficial outcomes on health and the environment, but the studies aren’t clear, and there are arguments on both sides.
When it comes specifically to milk, the truth is, cup for cup, conventional and organic milk BOTH contain the same nine essential nutrients. These nutrients distinguish milk as a powerhouse nutritional beverage. The primary differences between the two are in the processing. According to the USDA, milk products labeled “organic” are from cows that are given exclusively organic feed, they are never given hormones or antibiotics and they have access to pasture. With access to pasture, organic milk has the potential to contain more omega-3 fatty acids, which help reduce inflammation in the body. It is up to you to make the choice about what you put in your fridge, but Rockview Farms is committed to providing a nutritious option for your family, no matter which of our products you choose.
When you buy from Rockview Farms you can be sure that your milk:
- Comes from happy, healthy, well-cared-for cows. It’s not just our organic cows that get quality feed and space to roam!
- Complies with stringent safety standards that routinely check both conventional and organic milk for antibiotics and pesticide levels.
- Is produced with a commitment to preserving the environment since we strive to be as green as possible in all areas of our operations.
- Has never been treated with rBST or rBGH hormones.
- Is always kept cold and delivered promptly to your store with optimal freshness in mind.
- Reflects our values as a family-owned and -operated company, with a commitment to our employees, our cows and quality of our milk.
In the mood for a healthy snack made with Rockview Organic Milk? You’ve got to check out our Go-Bananas Milk recipe. Kids love it!